SOCS offers graduate Program leading to Ph.D. degrees in Soil Science. SOCS graduate students enroll in several SOCS courses as part of their program. Which reflects the multi-disciplinary characteristics of the SOCS program in general.
Doctor of Philosophy in Soil Science
Graduate study program at Soil Science Department, College of Agriculture aims to prepare well qualified students to carry out the required academic and applied research programs in soil and environmental sciences under Saudi Arabian conditions. Therefore the aims of the program are as follows:
1- Activate scientific research in soil science related to Saudi Arabian conditions with emphasis on the following:
Arid and semi-arid soil characteristics studies.
Problems of irrigated agriculture and sustainable soil management practices
Evaluation of arid lands quality for agriculture land use.
Soil, water and plant relations for conservation of water and other agriculture inputs.
Maximizing the use of new technologies such as remote sensing, GIS and bio-fertilizer in soil science studies.
2- Preparation of scientifically qualified students in soil science to serve the Kingdom development plans such as:
- Academic staff for education and scientific research at the universities and agriculture institutes.
3- Creation of new opportunities for cooperation between Ph.D. soil graduates working at research institutions and the university through cooperative applied research programs.
- Admission is open to all qualified students who hold Master degree in soil science or other related specialization from King Saud University or other qualified university .
- Students should pass personal meeting (interview) with the department graduate committee .
- The student is required to have TOEFL score of 450 or other equivalent English language examination or M.Sc. degree from non-Arabic university with English study language .
Degree requirements and study program
- The study leading to Ph.D. in Soil Science is basically by dissertation and some courses. The program requires a minimum of 22 units, see attached, in which 6 units may be taken from the M.Sc. level not studied before .
- The department decides the study plan for the students at the beginning of the1stlevel according to the minor specialization .
- A comprehensive exam is required
- Preparation of dissertation (700 level) in the student specialization that are original and specific .